I suppose everyone has a "list" of what they're looking for in a potential partner. Maybe I should say "had" a list? I did. I had to throw mine away and go to God in prayer and the Word in study to start rebuilding it. I'm going to help you rebuild your list, too!
Here are the kinds of things the were on the Old Mark's list:
- Breast size (bigger equal-ED better <--- past tense i.e. grapefruits are better than grapes)
- Hip size (must pass the pinky test i.e., fit between my pinkies if I touch my thumbs together and stretch my hands out)
- Weight (must be able to carry her without getting tired...you know, in case something goes down.)
- Height (from 5'5" to 5'9")
- Age (from as young as half my age + seven years, or 25, to up to five years younger than me, or 34)
- # of Kids & Baby-Daddies (one...two acceptable if same baby daddy)
- Denominational preference (No COGIC or Church of Christ, Non-Doms looked at with skepticism)
- Republican vs. Democrat (Obama voter = NO DICE!)
That was my OLD foolishness. I exaggerate a little for effect. I'm not exaggerating that much.
I'm being reformed. I've been spending more time in study. Let me help you fix your list! How you craft your list is 100% up to you but let me tell you what items should be at the top:
The Man's List
1. Can I be naked and unashamed (transparent) in front of her or do I feel like I'm hiding, performing or acting like someone other than myself?
2. Can she HELP me in my Godly mission and purpose?
3. Is she suitable/equal to me?
The Woman's List
1. Can I be naked and unashamed in front of him or do I feel like I'm hiding something, performing or afraid to be the real me?
2. Can I HELP him in his Godly mission and purpose? Was I made for him?
(I'm not adding the "suitability" measure to the woman's list at this time. As I'm writing this, I believe that has to be defined by God for the man.)
Of course you're going to be attracted to whom you're going to be attracted, but a lot of that superficial stuff should fall lower and lower on your list as you mature.
Here are some GOOD things for your list after the first few items:
- Does she "fit" within my family?
- Can I cover her and add to her life?
- Do those closest to me, who love me and whom I trust, honor my decision in him/her? Or do they all think I'm crazy?
- Do I respect him?
- Does he have a plan for his life?
- Is she respectful and supportive?
- Does she create a peaceful environment around herself?
- Does he pray?
Let's start looking at each other more deeply. Let's try to see one another through God's eyes and we'll make better choices. I know some of you won't hear me. You're still going to insist that he must drive a Cadillac!
"...And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed." ~Genesis 2:25
"Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him." ~Genesis 2:18