Blogroll

1/22/11

7 Ways to Make Mastermind Groups Work for You!

I was looking for an "accelerator" for my life and vision, so I decided to start a mastermind group. I've always hated that name. I suppose by writing the word with a lowercase "m" I am striking back at Napoleon Hill in my own way. Darn you, Napoleon Hill for trying to help us all while giving us a horrible name!

Benjamin Franklin called his mastermind group a "Junto" - which serves to prove that no one has done a great job with naming these things over the course of centuries. But I digress...

I took the initiative to begin my group along with several friends beginning with an open invitation to all of my friends in my social network. Since we were all over the country, we used online forums and conference calls to stay in touch with each other. Starting with twenty people, we eventually came down to a stable group of eight at the point where we were able to make some real progress together.

Some people were "ahead" of the group overall and some were "behind" the group. A few were dropped because they didn't do the assignments. We eventually stabilized and it was a very good thing. I learned a lot about how to conduct these groups very quickly.

Here are the top lessons I've learned from my first mastermind experience:

1. It works if everyone is in the same place in life. By being in the same "place" I am suggesting that everyone should value the idea of working together as a part of a group. Everyone should feel like they're a ready to benefit from the dynamic. If they're not at that place, it's not a problem. They're just not ready for the mastermind.

2. It works if you have assignments. Everyone has friends. Everyone needs friends. However, mastermind groups are about working. We had assignments. Tasks were structured to make sure each person was participating and progressing personally.

3. It works if everyone does the assignments. Unless each person does the homework, there is no way to build cohesion. Unless each person does the homework, there is no one to help one another. If people don't work, there is no point.

4. It works if everyone is transparent. Honesty and transparency must rule. Again, there is no point to being in a group setting unless you have an interest in helping one another. To do that, you have to know what each person thinks and needs. If you hold back you become a brick wall, to which no one can relate.

5. It works if you set a regular meeting time and don't vary. Self-explanatory. It takes time and discipline to develop new habits and regularity is essential for masterminds to be fruitful.

6. It works if people make one-on-one connections outside of the group. I encouraged our team to talk with, work with and pray for and with one another outside of our meetings. I feel that's where we got the most power! I enjoyed watching folks getting real help with their business and life challenges from others who could help. As great as our group was and as much as I enjoy facilitating, my own ability to help is always limited. Entrepreneurs found real life connections that made them real world money as a result of our group and, for that, I am eternally proud!

7. It works if everyone makes efforts to give as much as they get. This is connected to the above point. Make efforts to give and encouragement as much as - or more than - you seek to receive them. If every person has this attitude, you can birth something truly extraordinary.

Those are my guidelines. I enjoyed and benefited from the experience so much that I now organize mastermind groups for others. I've seen the power of mutual accountability and vision-sharing. It's a beautiful thing!

What are your experiences with mastermind groups? Contact me if you want to know more!

Mark Anthony McCray is the Founder of "Live Big, Die Empty" a movement designed to help people live life more abundantly and walk in the purposes for which they were created. Write or call 832-566-2001 for more information and follow Mark on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/MARKMCCRAY and http://www.twitter.com/LiveBigDieEmpty and http://www.twitter.com/TheKoholeth

2 comments:

Hi Mark

Those were very similar to the guidelines I tried to set with my mastermind group. One person did not feel at the same level and dropped out after only 2 meetings. The rest of us were self-employed, just starting out on new businesses. I had invited some other self-employed people, but the timing wasn't right for them. We set a goal for each month and each person was responsible for a meeting, presenting something they found on the topic. We also each brought an item to share. It kind of fell apart a bit just before Christmas, but I hope to get us started up again next month, with maybe an added member or two.

Thanks for your post. I will definitely be looking into the option of masterminding with you.

Fran

if these mentioned points are implemented carefully then mastermind group works well..
mastermind groups

Post a Comment