Blogroll

11/13/11

Walking Funny: "Encourage My Brothers" Version



I was out looking at real estate recently. The agent was walking me to look at condos but she had a funny way of walking. As I followed behind her, I found her extremely difficult to follow because she kind of stopped and started and even swung her legs in a way that it looked like she was about to change directions. To say it was frustrating would be an understatement!  I am a naturally fast walker. I almost ran over her at least twice!  She had said the unit was towards the back of the property but didn't tell me where. I wasn't sure where we were going or I might have gone ahead or walked in front.


Imagine trying to follow or even walk with someone when you aren't sure what direction they're going even moment to moment? I'm still mad thinking about it. I never called her back if I'm honest about it. I really don't want to deal with that stress.  Maybe I'm making too much of it, but you weren't there!

Anyway, here's the point to my true story: do the people around you - those relying upon you for direction - know what direction you're going?  Do you look like you're going one way and then swing back the other at the last second?  As men, it's time to stop limping between two opinions, two ways of thinking about ourselves and our God, two ways of thinking about our visions.  We have to get off the fence because there are people counting on us for direction.  There are people who would help us if they only knew where we needed help.  I believe setting direction and casting vision are unique responsibilities of men and in line with the way the Lord has designed us at our core.  Let's not be afraid of that.  Let's take courage and make more decisions.  There is so much power in the simple statement: I'm going this way!  

Do people even know your intended destination?  If not, they might be feeling pretty frustrated right now.  Those who love us are waiting on some of us to have an "...as for me and my house" moment!  I'm sure they love you, so they aren't mad at you.  They might even want to help you get there.  But they have a hard time when you're walking funny instead of walking straight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment