Blogroll

12/11/11

4 Ways to Start Preparing for 2012


The bottom line is this...

All of us are better than we give ourselves credit for being. We have more promise, insight, skill and talent than we show. We allow ourselves to become trapped in routines that limit us. We barely fight to escape. What are some things you can do TODAY to help propel yourself into a new level? I've got some ideas. They are a little random. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1. Get a coach or join a mastermind group. It's always great to have someone or a group to bounce your ideas off of. I've found it invaluable to just be able to hear myself talk out loud about my hopes, dreams and plans. I've got one coming up. Get in touch with me. I might be able to help. Many people fail to progress because all of their ideas live only in their own heads. Never shared. Never refined. Never acted upon. It's a shame.

2. Read a book. I know. I know. EVERYBODY reads a book a day! Whenever I say this, people always respond telling me how much they're reading. I get it. Nobody wants to admit they've not picked up a book since they got out of school. Still. I've noticed so many of my biggest shifts in life when I've recommitted myself to reading and study. So much so that I always ask myself "Mark, why don't you do this more often?"

3. Sit down and think. Dream. Just get somewhere quiet and think about who you want to be and where you want to go. What's really on your heart? What are you afraid of admitting to yourself? Write these things down in a journal if you have one or just on a notepad. Writing makes things real. Find someone positive and supportive with whom to share your thoughts. They can help hold you accountable and encouraged.

4. Take some action NOW! Do something. Do anything. Find something from your list of dreams and hopes and start working on it today. Make a commitment to yourself to no longer be stuck in delay, delay, delay mode. I've been there myself. I know what it's like to feel paralyzed in "potential" mode. What you have to decide is that it's worth it to simply start somewhere, even if it isn't where you want to start. Progress breeds progress.

As we prepare for 2012, you'll here a ton of talks and speeches and sermons about how 2012 is going to be YOUR YEAR! I believe that for you, too! I am a huge believer in using special dates on the calendar to usher in change. I'm just asking you to start writing, start finding support structures, put in the labor of thinking and commit to taking action so more of your talk turns into actions and those actions can turn into results.

The bottom line is I believe you are ready to break out and I'm going to keep cheering you on until you do!

1 comments:

Great article Mark. Your list is actually not THAT random. In your words, give yourself "credit for being" focused enough to compile a list and to share it. Based on your list, my 2012 is off to a great start. I'll need to make sure that I stay with the coaching and masterminds. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year.

Post a Comment